Monday, August 22, 2005

Two losses and a real loss

Well, the Giants should've taken two of three from the best team in the National League, but they didn't. Why, you ask?

Because that's what losing teams do.

Before I get into that superficial pain, though, I'm going to say a prayer for Thomas Herrion, who passed away after the 49ers' preseason game on Saturday. Speculation is rampant as to why, but I tend to want to save any opinions and guesses as to the cause of his death for later -- much later than two days after it happened. By all accounts he was a good man, and that's fine enough for me. My condolences go out to his family and all who cared for him, and I hope they can take solace in the fact that he died after doing something he loved doing, and giving it his all while doing it.

Rest in Peace, Thomas.

As far as the Giants' weekend, it was all about the pitching:

  • Brad Hennessey was doin' his thang on Friday -- holding what would normally be the best offense in the NL down to zero runs through seven innings for the 2nd time this season. But even without Scott Rolen in the lineup the Cards remain a threat, and Bad Brad only allowed five hits and three walks through those seven innings. He'll obviously never be a strikeout pitcher, but he obviously has some talent in him. I'll hopeful he can be a decent 5th starter next season.
  • Kevin Correia had the "gutty" performance of the weekend on Saturday. Didn't see it. However, I am noticing Jeff Fassero is doing well in his mop-up roles lately, and quite frankly, that scares me. If he somehow gets that ERA below 4.00, don't be surprised if the "Brain" Sabean re-signs the guy. My gut reaction would be to call that stupid, but I must admit that despite my early misgivings Fassero has done all the Giants have asked him to and more. Useful guy -- and I hope he hooks up with some American League club that'll give him a two year contract.
  • I declared Jason Schmidt to be back a couple of weeks ago, and apparently I was premature. Good performance Sunday, but he still seems to lack a certain something that he seemed to have regained a few weeks ago. He's a shaky ace at best. I've heard a lot of people lately giving Noah Lowry ace status, which is just a bit silly. Lowry's good and getting better, and make no mistake, he's pitched better than Schmidt overall this season (and at the end of last season, too). But to call him the "ace" and kick Schmidt to the curb at this point is premature. It certainly looks that way for right now, but I'd rather wait until about June of next season, personally.

I also declared Todd Linden to be on the rise, a bubble which he promptly popped with a big-time four at-bat, four strikeout regression. He's still striking out at a clip of over one time for every three at-bats.

No comments: