Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Mmmm...runs

My powers of prediction and projection are puissant.

Of course, on Sunday when I mused that the Giants would likely see an improvement in their offensive fortunes in Arizona and/or Colorado, I didn't necessarily think that musing would manifest itself in the form of a ten run outburst in their first game against the Diamondbacks, but it is not for nothing that in certain portions of the world I am known as Danieldamus.

Well, in truth the longer version of the name is used just a bit more: the Loud, Obnoxious, Shaved-Headed American Who Likes His Vodka Too Much and Often Makes Predictions About Things We Care Nothing About. But the shortened version is starting to catch on, I think.

It wouldn't be me without worry, though, and that worry manifests itself thusly:

  • Dunno 'bout you, but for reasons of superior ability, youth, and the lack of Scary Facial Hair, I'd much rather see Kevin Correia start than Jeff Fassero.
  • In that same vein, I'd rather see this guy pitch than Tyler Walker or Jack Taschner right now:

As Lefty and Grant have theorized, the Giants have indeed been lucky thus far, but now they are at a point where we can surmise they can win a few on their own merits. Today they face Russ Ortiz, and I'd be lying if I said I don't chuckle every time I see this guy toe the rubber for another team. He wasn't too bad of a Giant, but his control issues are scary (although Kruk interpreted that as meaning Ortiz was a "grinder").

Perhaps you guys can chime in with an opinion on this -- while it is still early, do any of you see any evidence this division is any better than last season? Or, do you see it as being just as poor as 2005, and maybe even a bit worse? Excluding the Giants, the rest of the NL West is currently 11-15 outside their division, and while the Rockies do sport a winning record as of today, they are doing on the strength of a 6-4 record against divisional opponents -- so it's possible they haven't played anyone that's any good yet.

Sidenote: It is an interesting feeling to be able to give up on a team in mid-April, but that's just the feeling my other team, the Kansas City Royals, have engendered in me. It seems a safe bet to assume they are the worst at everything, having managed to already accomplisht the 1-2 punch of scoring the least amount of runs in the majors while allowing the most. Their opponents are running a .946 OPS against their pitching, while their offense is at .667. They don't even have anyone enjoying a hot start -- the highest individual OPS on the team is Shane Costa (whom I've met, by the way, and found to be cool) at .806.

Sad doesn't even begin to describe it. Betcha Reggie Sanders is pissed at his decision to sign there right about now.

No comments: