Thursday, July 20, 2006

Better to be lucky...

Well, just another series won while getting outscored -- this time by the count of 19-12. But you know what they say, losses and wins are all that matters. The margin by which you lose or win is irrelevant.

However, I can't help but think it's a bit disconcerting that the Giants have run up a 3-3 record after the Break so far, with the deficit in the losses being: eight, four, and nine. The margin of victory has been: two, one, and one. The scoring in the Phillies series was 23-12, in case you were wondering.

I'm thinking if that trend continues, the Giants won't be a contender in the NL West for long, even if all the other teams are still doing the Mediocrity Dance.

Now we come to another one of those important stretches. Twenty-three of the team's next thirty-two games are against divisional opponents, with the nine games that aren't being against the Pirates and the Nationals, two of the worse teams in the National League.

Any takers on the Giants record in those 32 games? I'm going to go out on a limb and say they'll compile a 16-16 record.

In what probably is the weirdest thing is that even with the Giants as ho-hum as they are, they aren't only in the divisional race, but they're second in the wild card race, too, behind the Cincinatti Reds and their .526 winning percentage (Giants are two games back).

Sidnote: This should be my last entry on my old computer, what with UPS's attempted delivery of my new one yesterday. I'm expecting them to try again today, and I'll be ready and waiting for them. I think the odds are about 2 to 1 that regardless of how easy the setup is, I'll have trouble getting it started.

2 comments:

PEFACommish said...

The margins of victory seem to be a function of the quality of pitching. If the starters get beat up, usually so does the bullpen, though that didn't happen yesterday. Giant pitching, particularly starting pitching, has been so inconsistent, as to make the outcome of any game completely unpredictable in advance.

I can't remember in the past 4 years a period where Ray Durham has been carrying the club. We all know well that this can stop at any moment, usually with a tweaked hammy. Enjoy it while it's happening.

If you asked me the Giants' coming record against the west on Monday night after that 10-1 disaster, I would have said 13-19. Now after two wins against the Brewskies, I'm a little more upbeat: 18-14.

Anonymous said...

Well, we both know how inconsistency has been the consistently consistent quality that this team has consisted of. Ahem.

But when your losses aren't close and your wins are squeakers, it doesn't bode well for the future. Eventually it catches up with you.